Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:28:13 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
In her comments on the recent breast cancer rate articles, Diane W. used 2 different phrases-"prevention" and "reduced risk".  I think we have to be careful about talking about anything "preventing" an undesired outcome.  We see this all the time in backlash about breastfeeding promotion.  As soon as you say breastfeeding prevents some bad outcome, you open the door for all those who say, "But I didn't breastfeed (or wasn't breastfed) and that didn't happen to my child (or to me)."  When we talk about artificial feeding increasing risks (or as it is too commonly put-breastfeeding reducing a risk)  the "but it didn't happen in my case" falls flat.  I have known people with breast cancer who have done all the "right" things that are said to prevent it and I have seen those who do everything that is supposed to cause it who never get it.  There are probably few things in life that can be totaly prevented.  Yes, if you never get in a car, you could prevent yourself from ever getting in a car accident.  (Unless one crashes through your window and gets you while you sit in front of the TV.)  In the vast majority of cases, however, our actions (genetics etc.) can certainly shift our risk in one direction or another.  This is what needs to be said in literature about any health issue.  Yes, we need to have pamphlets not just about treating breast cancer, but also about reducing one's risks for it.  While talk about "prevention" may shock a few into chosing more healthy behaviors, I think that for most it may be more of a turn off than stating that certain behoviors will shift the risk.  The same applies to promoting breastfeeding or any healthy choice.

Winnie

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2