Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:48:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Kathy,

My mother has Sjogren's syndrome and is on an internet list for those with this disease.  When a breastfeeding question comes up, she often refers the mothers to me.  I have never had this particular question arise, but I have been asked several times if the commonly used drug Plaquenil is safe when breastfeeding.  For some sufferers this is a wonder drug.  Unfortunately, some women have been misinformed and go off this drug while breastfeeding.  It is in fact approved by the AAP for use while breastfeeding.  Is the mom
you are working with trying to go without any of her usual treatments?  Does the Dr. feel that hormonally breastfeeding is aggravating the Sjogren's or does he just feel as some Drs. do that breastfeeding is "stressful" and therefore can aggravate any illness?  Has the mother considered how difficult it is going to be to prepare bottles if the arthritis does not improve with weaning?

My heart goes out to this mother as I know this autoimmune disorder can be very painful and inconvenient.  It is lucky that she has you to discuss breastfeeding issues with.  If she is not already in a network of other Sjogren's sufferers, she might consider joining the national organization and/or trying the internet.  I will send you the info on these as soon as I can get them from my mother.

Becky Butler, IBCLC
La Plata, MD

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2