Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:53:31 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Thanks to everyone for the opportunity to post this for my own learning.
I have a number of questions that have arisen from my counselling of mothers whose babies have lip and tongue ties lately.

Is it always best to revise lip and/or TTs if the baby's tongue has good function (assessed by an IBCLC) despite the existence of a tie and the lip is able to flange and maintain a seal? - and where weight gains are OK and mum no longer has any pain? Are there other health implications that need to be considered?
What are the possibilities of breast refusal after revision (specifically by laser) where the baby is now older - say 12 weeks? Would it affect baby's feeding adversely in any way - especially if feeding now going well? 
I have read that LTs can contribute to wind/colic/reflux.  Is this specifically where the baby is unable to seal - so where there is clicking and popping etc?  If the baby can maintain a seal, would the tie still contribute to these issues or should the mother be looking elsewhere for the answers to these problems?
Could lack of tongue movement and therefore peristalsis contribute to wind/colic/reflux also?  Would this improve as baby got older if no revision? 
Has anyone dealt with a mother who is feeling particularly guilty/upset about the fact that her baby has TT/LT - in that she feels like there is something she should have done differently with diet, etc?  I have heard of the theory about TT/LT and folic acid supplementation (resulting in low folate levels in those with methylation issues) but was wondering if there had been any more study into the cause of TT.  If the folic acid theory is correct, shouldn't we be seeing a lot more midline defects? Are we? Or is it more likely the result of epigenetic changes due to generations of poor diet, lack of BF etc? 

Best wishes
Anita Bryce
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2