Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 16:30:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
In reading the regular posts regarding CPS, I have felt many concerns. I myself do not work for child protective services, however I work very closely with our local workers and the parents that they are working with, often providing parent education and mentoring/support services. As with all others that we work with, their are good and bad. I can honestly say that in the time I have been working with them I have not seen a case where the child's removal was not justified. I have also never seen CPS not make every attempt to reunite parents and children. One thing that I have learned repeatedly is that parents unfortunately (whether embarrasement, denial, or fear) do not tell the whole story about the reasons surrounding the case. After working with them for a few weeks, I learn the details, and in working with the situation find that yes removal was justified. Social workers must provide more than adequate documentation to a judge when a child is removed. If they fail to do so, they can lose their jobs, which I have myself witnessed. It is very important that we remember that yes there are good and bad as in all professions, including lactation. Labeling the entire CPS agency is wrong. They provide a service to many abused children that I for one could not stomach. Please keep that in mind when you are insulting their abilities and efforts.
Sarah Tanner

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2