Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:12:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
I can't recall if you mentioned that your group of MDs share a common discipline (all Pediatricians or OBs) or what have you. They all have varying perspectives.

Really I recommend explaining to MDs 'why' it is that breastfeeding matters....risks of formula, the breastfeeding position statement of the AAP if that's relevant to your location, and the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. My experience is that when professionals share a value for a behavior/concept, they are much more likely to put forth the effort to make sure the get their instructions right.

I think sharing resources with them that are specific to lactation so they can access accurate information is helpful, understanding the consequences of misinformation and how it can sabotage or disrupt breastfeeding. Again in the states for example InfantRisk.org, how to access Lactmed, Medications and Mothers' Milk by Hale and recommend 2 good lactation texts for their clinic. Perhaps diplomatically sharing some of the ways to avoid the most common sources of misinformation. Like anything else they recommend for their patients they really need to examine the source, make sure it is credible and that they are not extrapolating personal 'experiences' and so forth to their professional recommendations as that is a common source of misinformation. Perhaps share some of the work of physicians who contribute toward the examination and development of breastfeeding research so they realize this is a serious specialty discipline. Share resources on how to access breastfeeding continuing ed, the AAP has a residency curriculum online, or resources specific to the community they work within.

MDs who work with childbearing families do not need to be IBCLCs but they should know what they do and where to find them. So I would share about the background of the IBCLC and what the IBCLC can contribute to their practice.

I know my suggestions are not full of 'lactation facts' however I have found that in my area, we first have to educate professionals on why breastfeeding IS a health issue...not just 'a choice'. And then they become inspired to educate themselves.

If they function in a hospital setting skin to skin, and hand expression...and all the other stuff I mentioned!

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2