Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 10:22:50 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (65 lines)
Please bear with me - or better yet, you may want to skip this rambling account of a
frustrating situation.

28 year old Mom was severely burned over 65% of entire left side of her  body at 8 month
old.
Multiple surgeries, of course through out the years.

Left breast re constructed at 14 yrs of age, right breast received implant against chest
wall because of inversion of breast tissue (?) or to make both breast look the same.

Mom had planned, almost precipitous home birth - seemed to be great experience, she did a
terrific job.
Baby did not latch immediately as midwife had baby suck on Dad's finger while some
membranes were retained and she needed mom to stay still until the uterus relaxed and
expelled them.  This seem to work and no pieces appeared retained.

Because midwife was directing the breastfeeding, I stepped back not wanting to give
conflicting info at such a  vulnerable time.  Baby did not latch but mom kept babe at
breast.  I went home as this is a very private mom and she had called me at the last
minute to come help as the midwife's helper had not arrived.  (Mom attends the LLL group
I lead and she and hubby attended childbirth learning  with me.)

I checked back with her later to learn that the baby had still not latch but sucked his
thumb or his index finger exceptionally successfully. (Probably did this in utero for
months)

Visited mom, really felt babe's tongue was not "loose" enough.  There was no visible
"membraney" frenum just tongue firmly attached very close to  front bottom gum. Also
extremely intense, tight suck.  I suggested she have baby checked by her doctor for
anklyglossia.  ( Doc said I must be out of my mind as there is no such thing as "tongue
tie" and the baby would eventually be just fine)

I spent time with the mom when she asked for help - but as I said very private type
people.  I emphasized the must of supplementation - doc also told her the baby would be
ok without for another couple of days (ugh) and strongly encouraged (well, insisted) she
begin  pumping immediately with an electric pump)

She pumped from 2nd day - initially some colustrum and  milk from left breast but that
ceased at about 2 weeks which did not surprise me due to the trauma from the burn.

The right breast produced fine and still is. however right not it is very sore. - more on
this later

She has  also used a Lact-aid at the breast, finger fed and used some bottles.. The baby
had appeared to latch successfully the 3rd day and nursed for 2 days ( the midwife was
still handling the bfg so I did not see this first hand)  then  stopped nursing. .
He latched again the 10th day and nursed for 10 days.  Then stopped again. Mom is trying
to get baby back to breast but is not sure she can handle much more of this if
he stops again.  Also the right breast is sore and mom is wondering if the implant  is
causing this soreness.

My questions are (after miles of rambling)
        1.  How often do ya'll  see a baby stopping, starting and stopping nursing.  Now, this
does not fit the usual  criteria for a strike, it's as if the infant 'forgets' how to
nurse and then suddenly remembers.
        2.  What has been your experience with implants causing soreness after the first 3
weeks.  The mom has had what seemed to be a blocked duct or two - the usual application
of moist heat, vitamin c, rest, etc. seemed to clear it easily.  No, there is no sign of
yeast, infection, exema or additional trauma.

Thanks so very much for your help --- I love you guys!!
Fondly, Linda
"Those who were dancing were thought to be quite insane  by those who could not hear the
music"

ATOM RSS1 RSS2