Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:10:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
Jennifer Tow wrote (in part): 
Do you feel confident in your assessment of posterior tongue-tie? I have found many PPTTs that experienced LC's have missed. I used to miss them all of the time too until I met Betty Coryllos. Lots of babies with PPTTs cause no pain to mom. 

I am not competent to assess a posterior tongue-tie. I do not know whether the pediatrician who saw the baby is either. This is something to consider. 

Jennifer wrote: 

IMO, this plan takes too much of a wait and see approach. I would make a referral for CST/chiro/Pt/DO, get mom onto galactogogues, initiate co-bathing using at least rescue remedy in the bath water, lots of STS, have a second opinion for TT and try feeding methods that might teach baby to latch like shield or finger-feeding, depending on his current behaviour. Good luck! 

Would you spell out the /Pt/DO part of CST/chiro/PT/DO? 

Since this baby has not nursed well since birth, I am concerned that he does have unrecognized issues. When I saw his mother attempt to breastfeed him, she used good positioning, he opened his mouth but did not latch and got very unhappy. He perceived some barrier and I do not know what it is. I do not know where to refer her or how to help her find professionals knowledgeable on these issues. Can you offer any guidance? Perhaps the pediatrician can make a referral. 

She does have a shield. I gave her instructions on how to use it and when we spoke earlier today (Th 12/4) she stated that she intends to try it again today. 

I will be visiting her again tomorrow with the Smillie DVD, Baby-Led Breastfeeding and I will be calling her shortly to see how today as transpired. 

Thanks so much for your input. 

Alice Roddy, LLLL 

Front Royal , VA , USA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2