Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:36:31 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I love it that vision is being discussed! Working with women who are childbearing age does not allow much opportunity for commiseration on this topic. 
AS SOON as I hit 50 my eyes started to seriously deteriorate.. almost to the day which was really weird.. I finally had to admit that I had a problem and now wear bifocals and prescription sunglasses. With the bifocals I cannot see the speedometer.. what an excuse.. But they work well for reading and for all that little lettering on supplement and medication bottles (which seems to get smaller the older I get. No wonder people have mishaps with their prescriptions!)

I do have to have my bifocals with me when seeing moms and babes though I cannot see through them for assessing latch, etc.. I, too, look over them which makes me chuckle a bit (I used to think that was so strange!). I have used exercises that I learned from a Deepak Chopra book or cd (can't remember which.. that's the other thing that started to go.. my instant recall of various bits of information I may never need to draw on!).. anyway.. it is an exercise to strengthen the eye muscles. First looking at your hand held in front of your face and then something in the distance, repeating 10 x or something of the sort. There were peripheral vision exercises as well. They did help when my vision first started getting worse in my early 40's. My lenses needed no changing for about 7 years so I would call them successful. Then BAM! of course, I hadn't done the exercises for that long either. I try to remember to do them regularly now. And I thank you for this post reminding me again that I wish to maintain my visual acuity for much longer.

ps. do not do these exercises while driving or even at stop lights unless you are the passenger.. of course there is always the danger that some passing law enforcement officer may think you have taken some illicit substance if you are seen:>)

Celina D. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2