Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:45:11 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
Hi all, have been asked this by a mother of my acquaintance, and her permission to ask all of you.

Mom works as a group mother with adolescent, troubled, boys.  Has no relief during her eight hour evening shift, during which to pump her breasts.  Baby is two months old, so far only breast-milk fed, but now mom doesn't seem to have enough to pump, and baby needs at least one supplemental bottle of ABM.  Neither mom or baby are happy with this.  Mom does co-sleep, but says baby wakes up only every three to four hours during noc.  

At the moment, mom pumps after the baby has eaten when she first gets home about 9 p.m.  This is usually enough milk for the babies feedings the following day.  

My suggestion to her, off the top of my head, is to pump a little longer than the actual milk flow, and to pump after feedings, if possible during the night.  We have also discussed slowly shifting the infant's feeding schedule, so she eats more often at night, maybe necessitating fewer day feeds.  Mom is willing to work with both of these suggestions.  She is also working on her employers to find her some mid shift relief (she is the only adult present at this time), so she can pump at least once at work. 

Any other suggestions?  TIA, Chanita, San Francisco

ATOM RSS1 RSS2