Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:26:09 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (60 lines)
> Valerie writes:  Gratitude and optimism are important components of
> life, without them we no longer have hope and courage.  May all of us continue
> in hope and courage despite the many setbacks we encounter in life.

Amen!

Thank you for sharing the details of your life and your experiences in breastfeeding.  I
asked, because I *do* think our experiences inevitably color our perspectives, and I was
interested in in learning more about you as a person.  I know many people on the list, but
I've never had the pleasure of meeting you.

When I was in private practice, I, too, valued being able to provide whatever help I
thought was appropriate.  There were times when I reported back to a hospital LC about a
mother we had both seen and when I told her what had worked to solve the problem was told,
"Yes, we thought that might help, but we're not allowed to do that here.  The doctors
don't allow it."  That's when I thanked my lucky stars my hands were not tied like that.

I, too, worked with mothers who did not meet their breastfeeding goals.  But I always felt
that just being willing to walk with them on that path was of great help.  I spoke
recently with Catherine Watson Genna and encouraged her to write up her approach to
helping mothers process these experiences emotionally.  Even if we don't solve all
problems, at least our mothers do not go through this experience by themselves.  That
alone is a tremendous boon!

I agree with your opinion about HIV and breastfeeding.  One of the best sessions I
attended at the LLLI Conference this year was Anna Coutsoudis', in which she described her
ground-breaking research on the effect of mixed feedings vs. exclusive breastfeeding on
transmission rates in HIV-positive women.  I think that as more research is done, we will
find that exclusive breastfeeding for at least the first six months will become the
preferred recommendation for HIV-positive mothers. The recommendations that have been
given so far are based on far too little information.  But it is difficult to be patient
with something so vital to our world.

It is good to hear you voice optimism.  When you explained how you work at a Bed &
Breakfast and on your own time research the patenting of human milk components, it makes
me think (don't ask me why!) of Albert Einstein, who worked at a Swiss patent office and
on his own time developed his general theory of relativity.  I've always been impressed by
the depth of your knowledge. What you're doing may be the critical piece that makes all
the difference.

I'm glad you decided to keep your IBCLC.  I think we can all contribute to this field in
our own ways.  You have carved your own niche and we are all the better for it.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC
Chicago, Illinois USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2