Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 13:28:43 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Dear all,

My husband and I were invited by our family doctor to participate in a study called LifeLines.
It is going to be a study that follows people for 30 years from now on many different health aspects.
I was struck by this sentence in the invitation: “If you are pregnant, then you can start 6 months after your delivery or 3 months after the end of your breastfeeding period.”
I wrote a letter to the organizers, asking about this exception and explaining about the value of not excluding, but much to the contrary *including* these women!
They have answered me and said that certain lab results, such as cholesterol in breastfeeding women, are difficult to interpret and that LifeLines reports back about all results to participants and family doctors.
So... apparently the lack of expertise in explaining these values is a ground for not including these women... Makes you wonder how this expertise should ever be able to grow, right? ;o)
Apart from this... is it really true, that this is so hard? And on yet another note... they mention all kinds of health aspects they want to study and breastfeeding, fertile, reproducing women and their babies/infants/young children make up a substantial part of a country’s population. How useful are the results if you exclude all the aspects that are relevant to health and related to breastfeeding?
Can anyone make sense of this and if so... enlighten me? :-)

Best wishes for a nice weekend,

Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena IBCLC, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2