Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:59:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Looking for information regarding Wellbutrin for breastfeeding mother (permission to post).
A mom called and she has a baby who is 3 weeks old. Mom has suffered from depression since the age of 19 and finds success in Wellbutrin and does not want to change meds, the risk is too high. She wants to continue to breastfeed. Both her doctor and the baby's doctor are aware she is breastfeeding and are prescribing (well, her doctor is). Her concern is long-term effects (ie: she was concerned with what if the baby grows up to have a learning disablility). The doctors opinion is bascially telling her do what you want, we have no idea what the effects are (and yes, I have read Hale on this and can share this information with her as well.)
The biggest question of all, she is on what I guess is a VERY high dose... she takes 450mg one day, the next day 300mg, alternating the doses. Both seem high, as Hale's info is on a dose of 100mg.  She also said that it is Wellbutrin XL (long acting). 
She also normally takes Labetalol for high blood pressure but stopped that as she felt she was taking a lot of meds. 
As a LLL, this is way out of my scope, but just checking to see if anyone had current information I could share with her to make an informed decision she can feel good about. Is this a really high dose??
Thanks in advance!!
Cyndi Colligan
Chittenango, NY  USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2