Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:04:19 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (7 lines)
Has anyone seen Meade Johnson's "new" topical medication for thrush (for babes as well as adults)?  It's really amphotericin - which I remember as an oldie but a baddie: used IV as a last resort in certain infections, it caused high fevers and severe shaking chills.
ANYway, my point was that the prescribing lit has a long explanation of how the stuff is very poorly absorbed orally, so that it won't have all the nasty side effects that IV ampho did.  Next page, they say that ...although it is not known if fungizone appears in breastmilk, many medications do and can be hazardous...therefore it should be decided whether it would be better to stop the med, or stop the breastfeeding...
GEEEEZZ!  How stupid can you get???  Are the docs to whom this is directed really dopey enough to be unable to remember "not absorbed from the GI tract" long enough to turn the page??  I want to yell "gee might there be a connection between this foolishness and their being a major ABM company??", but the truth is, you see the same stupid kind of reasoning from sources *without* the conflict of interest...
AAARRRRRGGGG.
Thanks for listening to my vent.
Willow 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2