Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 09:33:36 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Ruth, You might check our lactnet archives for more detailed info. Others have dealt with the itching and hives. I think taking an antihistamine helps many mothers. My understanding is that (contrary to some beliefs) antihistamines do not 'dry up the milk.'

Sonya, My understanding is that progesterone can help during pregnancy as far as "development of your milk factory" (p. 120, Making More Milk by West and Marasco). But does not help after the birth (p. 137). Even though estrogen is the main contraceptive ingredient to worry about, I do believe that micronor can decrease milk production if started early. I generally recommend that moms wait to start hormonal contraceptives until bf is "well established" with robust milk supply and I suggest 4 to 6 wks. However, in your client's situation, I think the 4 wks prematurity is the major risk factor. Perhaps she can find another med that controls her migraines. There are meds specific for that I think.

Laura, I don't think copaxone is associated with low milk supply. But a mother with multiple sclerosis (MS) could very well have nerve conduction issues related to lactation function (most of us remember the pictures of the baby suckling and the nerve signals going to pituitary to release the oxytocin and prolactin?). And with the tongue-tie issues, that is a negative additive effect on lactation.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA

Baptist 100. Well beyond a century.

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete it immediately.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2