Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:49:03 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Hello,

I have been called to attend an important meeting. Here in Spain we have a public office figure called The Defender of the Youth, El Defensor del
Menor. His job is what the name implies, to defend the interests of babies, children and teenagers from the social and political arena. Anyway,
the current Defender is having a meeting with staff from Unicef to speak about inmigrant children and defending their rights. Unicef, among
others, invited their expert on bf but since she wasnt available they called me.

In my - short - experience, inmigrant mothers here in Spain tend to have low breastfeeding rates. Mainly it is because they work day and night to
earn enough money to survive. Usually their official 4 month maternity leave is not respected by their employers - and these women fear to call on
their rights. Also, many women who come from rural areas, specially of South America, tend to think they will fit in better if they bottlefeed like
everyone else than if they breastfeed, which seems to be an unclassy thing to do.

So I want to ask the Defender to help promote breastfeeding among inmigrant mothers, to support educational activities and lactation consults. I
want to present him with evidence that this is good. I have pleeenty of evidence about the benefits of breastfeeding, but I was wondering if any
studies have been done re morbidity and mortality in inmigrants before and after a breastfeeding educational and support intervention. I have not
found anything this specific.

I would also appreciate any ideas you think would be good to present to this man. I think im too young for this !!!!

Thanks,

Kika Baeza
Family doc in Spain
Mom to 2yo Laura and 8mo Teresa, breastfeeders.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2