Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:54:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Ah Virginia -- I don't know the answer to that question.  Basically, the hypothesis would be:

Offering heavily processed homogenized cow's milk with additives mixed with human milk increases morbidity and mortality to a greater extent than offering processed cow's milk with additives separately from human milk.

Then you would need to define separately.  So your question, leads me to ask more questions.

By separate would this mean in a separate bottle? Would it be better to give human milk first, then heavily processed homogenized cow's milk with additives?  Would it be better to store up the human milk and give the human milk at separate feedings?  Or would that increase the degradation of the human milk since it wouldn't be as fresh?   Is there a time interval involved?  Would you need to give the human milk first, allow digestion for a certain period of time --- or would it be better to immediately offer the heavily processed cow's milk with additives when the gut is still lined with human milk?

Oh and then my other question would be can human milk reduce the growth of bacteria in the powdered formula.  My son just bought a science kit to study wind mills.  I want my own science kit to test bacterial growth, an autoclave and a centrifuge.  

My poor son had to put up with my reaction to the New York City application process for PUBLIC high schools.  Basically, the overactive middle school counselors (parents themselves) decided that no kid in his school would be "second listed".  A term that sends terror into the hearts of New York City parents because it means your kid was not chosen for a high school and you're going to have to beg for a place in the dregs of the worst schools or the completely untried schools.  So, my also hyperactive dh investigated the entire book of public high schools and thought he had come up with a list of high schools to tour that I thought was more than enough -- in the end we visited 15 high schools.  When we had 13 in the list, we had a "conference" with one of these counselors and I thought she would say we had done our job well and visited plenty of schools -- but no -- she wanted us to visit more safety schools.  She was quite dismayed when I told her that one of her suggested schools had science that was of a lower level than what the science teacher had already provided in 6th and 7th grade at the middle school. I did NOT tell her what the science teacher privately muttered to my son about the low quality of the science in that school.  

Since my son likes science and since it gets rather tedious to go to school after school listening to lots of buzz words about why each school is special and the students are motivated and their approach will cure all the ills of public education --- I started tuning it all out and searching for the chem labs.  For some reason I found it very comforting if a school had a fume hood that meant you could do serious chem experiments - the kind that could be enticingly dangerous and require skill and protective goggles and an eye wash stand nearby if you were silly enough to not wear your goggles.  So perhaps exposure to science labs in 15 high schools has made me miss the toys.  I still have a fond affection and deep respect and fear of the ultracentrifuges that were used in genetic work.  There were lots of "lab myths" about the time when someone (usually now retired) didn't balance the tubes and the ultracentrifuge wobbled its way through a wall, or spewed its contents all over the walls while everyone dove for cover.  I never did meet anyone who actually experienced such an event in person.  

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2