Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2015 13:39:39 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Hi,

I’ve been using Low Level Laser Therapy in my private practice now for 2 years with outstanding results. It is highly effective where accelerated wound healing such as nipple trauma is required. In my experience the benefits of LLLT particularly in accelerating the healing process of nipple trauma have been highly effective compared to other available treatment options. With the majority of nipple trauma I observe immediate accelerated healing straight after the first treatment. Of course, assessment and treatment of any underlying cause remains as important as ever (eg. correct attachment and positioning, infection), and LLLT should best seen as an additional tool only.

The anti-inflammatory and anti-edematous effect of LLT is also hugely beneficial in clearing blocked ducts and supporting the healing process in mums experiencing mastitis. Here LLLT becomes a powerful alternative treatment when antibiotics need to be avoided.

LLLT is a very gentle and painless treatment with not side effects if used by a trained practitioner. I personally believe it is the innovative tool we were waiting for a long time and couldn't imagine practising without it. I value the natural healing power of LLLT - it has no side effects, low cost and ease of application.

I am an austrian LC practising in Australia but have received the LLLT training in Germany and Austria, where LLLT has been used in Maternity for more than 15 years. At the moment I am working together with a PHD student to publish an article about LLLT in a lactation journal and also hope to get a scientifically sound research about the efficacy and protocols started soon.

As already mentioned before, a plethora of studies providing evidence for the efficacy of LLLT in acceleration of general wound healing and providing pain relief exists. Below you will find some relevant research evidence specific to nipple trauma:

Chaves MEdA, Araujo AR, Sandos SF, Pinoti M, Oliveira LS. LED Phototherapy Improves Healing        of Nipple Trauma: A Pilot Study. Photomedicine and Laser Surgerz, 2012;30(3):172-8.

Mokmeli S, Khazemikho N, Niromanesh S, Vatankhah Z. The application of low-level laser therapy after cesarean section does not compromise blood prolactin levels and lactation status. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2009;27(3):509-12.

Pietschnig B, Michael P, Astrid K, Elisabeth B, Andreas L. Use of soft laser in the therapy of sore nipples in breastfeeding women. In: Koletzko B, Fleischer Michaelsen K, Hernell O, editors. Short and Long Term Effects of Breast Feeding on Child Health: Springer; 2002. p. 437-8.

Posso I, Goncalves S, Posso M, Filipini R. Control of nipple pain during breastfeeding using low level laser therapy: 381. Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine. 2007;32(5):185.

Best wishes,

Gabi Eckereder
IBCLC, RM
mumsmilk
Melbourne
Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2