Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:27:19 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Hello, my name is Jenna Sanden.  I am a junior nursing sutdent at the University of North Dakota.  I have subscribed to this list-serv because I strongly agree with breastfeeding and am very interesting in learning more about the topic.  One topic that I am interested in is maternal nutrition and dieting during lactation.  In particular, I am interested in women who participate in a low carbohydrate diet while breastfeeding, and the effects their diet has on lactation.

According to Pugh and Wilson (2005) 55% of total caloric intake should come from carbohydrates, and women who are lactating should consume at least 100gm/day of carbohydrates from multiple sources including wholegrain breasds and cereals, fruit, and vegetables.  Low carbohydrate diets, although not encouraged during lactation, suggest a consumption of only 20-90 gm/day, which decreases the concentration of glucose to the point where the body changes to ketosis for a source of energy (Cotugna, Tapper-Gardzina, & Vickery, 2002).  Health care providers are not sure how a low carbohydrate diet affects maternal health or breast milk, however, it is known that ketone bodies can get into milk and may alter the taste and smell of you milk.  This may affect the likeliness of your baby wanting to breastfeed, and the less you breastfeed your baby the lower your milk supply will be (Doberne & Heinig, 2004).

My questions is have you ever had a woman who was breastfeeding and on a low carbohydrate diet, and if so what was your reaction and what nutritional advice did you give?

Thank you,
Jenna Sanden, SN

References

Doberne, K., & Heinig, M. J.  (2004).  Weighing the risks:  The use of low-

carbohydrate diets during lactation.  Journal of Human Lactation,  20(3); 283-285.

Pugh, L. C., & Wilson, P. R.  (2005).  Promoting nutrition in breastfeeding women.  

Journal of Gynecological and Neonatal Nursing, 34(1); 120-124.

Cotugna, N., Tapper-Gardzina, Y., & Vickery, C.  (2002).  Should you recommend a low-

carb, high-protein diet?  The Nurse Practitioner, 27(4); 52-59.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2