Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:47:55 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hola List Brains,
Please tell me where to research this or tell me your experiences with similar situations.  Permission to post: 30 y/o, currently 7 mo pregnant with her second baby.  I helped this mother with her first breastfeeding, 2 years ago.  With that first baby she was never comfortable, never had completely undamanged nipples.  By that I mean every time I saw her between birth and when she had an abscess drained by a surgeon at 6-7 weeks after the baby was born, the nipples always seemed crusty and damaged.  Her breasts always seemed poorly drained, and no change of positioning or help with the baby's wide open latch or examination of the baby's mouth by doctors and others seemed to help. I distinctly remember that one time when her baby was just a few weeks old and she had engorgement, I helped her pump in my office and she seemed to be pumping what appeared to be mucus. 

This ended in a serious infection and ultimately abscess and hospital stay.  Now I would like to help her NOT repeat this terrible experience.  Do any of you know if there are measures we can take to help her this time avoid a repeat of this experience?  What can I do to help her? What can she do now that she has two months to go?
THanks in advance for any references or ideas you-all might have.
Isabella on the border with Mexico

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2