Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:54:23 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
This can be a common scenario.  I won't comment on feeding management as others are doing that but I would like to add some old fashioned remedies if I may.

I think that babies get little opportunity to expel gas!  Disposable nappies are often done up too tight to stop leakage (especially for boys who tend to pee upwards).  Babies need good lengths of time with nappies off to bring up their knees, lie on their tummies or be held up in a budda position to "let rip"!  I teach mums to watch out for the signs of a bloated tummy.  It tends to be hard and hollow sounding (when tapped) before a feed. Take the nappy off, hold up like he is going to poop in a potty and watch how he just relaxes and concentrates on the business in hand. Often you will get an explosive bowel motion with the gas. If he dosn't relax, it is not going to work just at that moment. Try later. Giving the baby the opportunity to get rid of some of this bowel gas before feeding again can work wonders for a relaxed feeding.  Of course, if the baby is very hungry, this won't work.

I'm sure back sleeping is contributing to wind and reflux issues.

The antibiotics mum received for her mastitis wont have helped either.

Watch how many women of third world countries hold their babies.  They do not have nappies, so have to watch out for that poop and see that it lands in a convenient bush or something.  Then while sleeping, baby is usually strapped to a body in a hunched position.  That, with the movement and motion are very helpful.

karen Palmer
midwife and IBCLC
NZ

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2