Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 02:59:09 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
--- On Fri, 12/19/08, Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Just to mention that there is the possiblity of email support for breastfeeding.  I don't know what is done in other countries, but I know that here in the UK all four of the mother support breastfeeding organisations provide some form of support. <...>
I know this is not exactly what Rachel was talking about, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  I don't think I have ever seen others working by email (not as an adjunct to other practice, but as first, maybe only, point of contact) discuss their practice here on lactnet.  Surely you are out there? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the Nethelands and Flandres similar systems as the LLLGB model Morgan describes exist in LLL and other organisations for lay breastfeding support.

In my practice I ''see'' more clients by email then in person. Being a LLL leader by origin, I developped skills for taking anamnesis without actually seeing a mom and baby. These skills include things like active listening by asking open, but directed questions; ''reading'' between the lines of answers; knowing the breastfeeding basiscs in and out, in order to know which routes could be walked for a given set of symptoms; etc. Counseling by email can be done in similar ways and it adds the possibility of including still or moving images or skyping with video/webcam. Still, some problems need seeing in person and those clients I do direct to an LC or LLLL in their neighbourhoods.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL, MOM in southern Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2