Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:00:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
As someone who suffered from 'Picasso Painting Breasts' ( large one and a small one) with both my babies , I found that when seeking help and being advised that it was simply a normal variation or cosmetic issue discouraging. While it is reassuring to hear that it is normal, being confirmed as normal does not necessarily assure that the mother is going to comfortable and accepting.

Asymmetry can be adjusted, and if it makes the mother happy, and betters the nursing relationship then it has value. 

For me , and other mothers I have helped in the past, there can also be a comfort issue. When one breast is larger, fitting a good nursing bra can be challenging. Self-confidence can definitely go down hill when the mother feels embarrassed or odd looking- especially if there was little to no visible asymmetry prior to nursing. 

Ultimately, asymmetry with my first child, this led me to wean too early. I was tired of wearing baggy shirts to hide the difference as well as the problems with finding a bra. As a mom with a 100# frame, and 1 b/c breast and 1 D breast, I felt , well, like a Picasso painting! 

After the experiences with my first child, and then going into childbirth and lactation education, I had a chance to work with a midwife that had a fairly simple remedy for this. It has also worked for me- so much so I am *still* nursing my youngest, age 3. 

I am sure that this is general and other factors may have to be considered, but what I have seen work is to nurse 2x on the smaller one, 1x on the larger one. This balances out the breasts ( on myself and other mothers I have helped with this) in a matter of 3 -5 days. Continuing the 2-1 pattern can be done throughout the nursing relationship, or whenever the feeling of "off balance" starts to creep up. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mirine R. Dye, CCE,CD,CLE
Childbirth and Lactation Educator/Doula
Florida Keys - Key Largo to Key West
Serving families during the childbearing year!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2