Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:36:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
We have so many times that we rant and rave about justifiably horrific advice and policies, so I thought I'd share a situation that actually turned out very nicely today.  I was called over to our Pediatric Center for Restorative Care (PCRC) to talk to a mother of a 6 mo. old boychild.  Mom and baby were in a car accident about 1 month ago - mom was driving and fell asleep at the wheel - she has a LOT of guilt feelings.  Up until the accident, mom was exclusively breastfeeding except for occasional  bottles if she was going out.  Baby Stephen never did take to bottles very well before the accident.  Stephen has significant brain  injury from the accident and has a "corpak" nasogastric tube.  He has been receiving Similac (mom's supply has really decreased due to stress) via nasogastric (NG).  The staff has tried to give him bottles on one or two occasions.  The speech pathologist stated that he does not have good lip closure over the bottle nipple and he loses a lot of the milk.  Mom told me that Stephen roots towards her frequently - more lately.  She does have an electric pump  procured by the staff at PCRC - way to go, staff!!  I encouraged her to continue to pump and put baby to breast.  She thought that her doc would insist on bottles for now.  I spoke with the doc and told him I thought baby may BF better than bottle feed, since he was accustomed to BF before the accident, and that BF would increase mom's milk supply again.  I also gave her a list of herbal galactogogues.  Doc said "ok" to BF and anything else we wanted to try as long as Stephen gets to oral feed and gets his calories.  Well, he latched on IMMEDIATELY (after having been comatose for 2 weeks and not BF for a month)!  His suction was weak at first, but his oral positioning was wonderful!!  As the feeding progressed, his suck became stronger. We gave him formula via NG while remaining at breast, after he had nursed for about 25-30 minutes. Mom was planning on BF every feeding today with the NG feed to follow while mom's supply has a chance to 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2