Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:16:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Respected colleagues, I need your assistance.  I have checked older posts and some that I have saved for personal use, and cannot find what I am looking for.  Brief scenario - got into a "heated" discussion with a fellow LC (supervisor of our group) about hand expression being as stimulating as pumping on a term mother with a baby that had not effectively latched at 36 hours.  (I am the only one of our group of 6 who read Lactnet).  I was told that "mom must pump or she will not get any stimulation" - even tho hand expression is just as effective.  I was actually crying she had me so upset - she just wouldn'g listen that hand expression is just as much (even more so) stimulating as the pump, and more effective because the mom can actually GET some milk to give to baby.  When I commented that hands were made long before pumps, and what did mothers' do in the past before pumps were available, she commented 'babies probably died".  And this is my supervisor!!  I have books that I can use for information, but are there other sources out there that I can use to support my claim?  She had me coming away from the converstation wanting to spit nails.  I am the only night shift LC we have, and work primarily in the NICU, but help our postpartum moms when I can.  Am I correct in my thinking?  I believe I am.  And I believe in what I tell my in-hospital clients, because of what I have learned from all of YOU!!!!  Thanks in advance.  Brenda Enfield RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2