Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:01:16 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Can you please delete me from this mailinglist?? I have tried several times, but I am still reciving the mails.. Please!!

> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:39:05 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: LACTNET Digest - 17 Dec 2006 to 18 Dec 2006 - Special issue (#2006-1452)> To: [log in to unmask]> > There are 7 messages totalling 388 lines in this issue.> > Topics in this special issue:> > 1. Use of gentian violet linked to cancer? (2)> 2. really hysterical nursing bit> 3. choice (2)> 4. screaming pediatrician> 5. Need help> > Lactnet Archives are at:> LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html> To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:> http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html> > Thanks- Kathleen Bruce, Kathy Koch, Rachel Myr,> Melissa Vickers, Karen Zeretzke, Karleen Gribble, LACTNET Facilitators> > Questions to [log in to unmask]> > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------> > Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:43:06 -0500> From: Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Use of gentian violet linked to cancer?> > A mom I am working with has mentioned reading about a possible link betwe=> en=20> oral cancer and use of gential violet. I've searched the archives and ca=> me up=20> blank.> > Anyone here know what I am talking about and have any links for me to=20> pursue?> > Blessings!> > Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, LLLL> > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > ------------------------------> > Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 02:31:19 -0500> From: cillakat <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: really hysterical nursing bit> > This is a little offtopic for some of the lists to which i'm sending,> but only a little. It's hysterically funny and from this blog:> http://www.hunnybeez.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=87463.0> > Went to Abigail's school Christmas concert (no "proper" Nativity this> year ). Each class did a little something followed by a song or 2.> Anyway, Ab's class did a Nativity scene, with Ab as Mary ( How proud> was I?). A few mins into their bit Ab promptly lifted her dress &> shoved baby Jesus up it. The script then wandered away from what> they'd learnt & goes as follows....> > Joseph: "What are you doing?"> Mary: "I'm feeding our baby"> Shepherd: "Have you got a bottle up there then?"> Mary: "Don't be silly he's having milk from my booby"> Joseph: "That's disgusting"> Mary: "No, that baby milk they have in Tescos is disgusting. My baby's> having proper milk"> Shepherd: "What's a booby?"> Mary: "Those sticky out bits ladies have"> Shepherd: "They're not boobies, they're nipples"> Mary: "No they're not, they're boobies"> Joseph: "So why can't Jesus have milk from a bottle then?"> Mary: "Because I haven't got a breast pump with me - you forgot to put> it on the donkey"> Shepherd: "Can't you ask the teacher for a bottle to feed Jesus with?"> Mary: "No because this is the best way to feed Jesus. Anyway bottles> haven't been invented yet & even if they were I've just had a baby so> if you think I'm faffing about round Tescos to buy baby milk when I> make proper milk in my boobies you can think again"> > I felt a teeny bit sorry for their class teacher - she did try her> best to steer them back towards their proper lines but she was> laughing so much she didn't really stand a chance. The line about> Joseph forgetting the breast pump finished her off - she slid to the> floor & couldn't get up for laughing....>>>> > end quoted material> > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > ------------------------------> > Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 05:53:41 EST> From: Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: choice> > In a message dated 12/17/2006 8:51:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, > [log in to unmask] writes:> What I do not understand is the discrepancy (sp?) between the sometimes > seemingly silly cautions around the use of medication or certain foods (or live > habits) during pregnancy and lactation on the one hand and the easyness and free > choice in birth practices that are potential harmfull for babies and the > freedom of choice for a substandard and possible harmfull food and feeding method > for infants on the other hand> Dear Friends:> Women can "choose" epidurals; women can "choose" to feed > artificially........these choices are defended by the healthcare system here in the US.> However, if a woman "chooses" to eat or drink in labor, she is denied. If > she "chooses" to move around in labor, she is denied.> Interesting about choices, isn't it?> warmly,> > Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE,CIMI> Adjunct Faculty, Union Institute and University, Lactation Program> Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation> www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com> > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > ------------------------------> > Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:50:36 -0500> From: Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: choice> > > Interesting about choices, isn't it?> But another choice is picking the "right" place to deliver :-)> My granddaughter choose a birthing center where she had a lovely delivery. > If more moms knew about choices, maybe their feet walking away from > traditional baby factories would help the baby factories reform :-) Pat in > SNJ > > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > ------------------------------> > Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:22:57 +0800> From: Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: Use of gentian violet linked to cancer?> > Hi Karyn-grace,> Gentian violet as carcinogenic (not necessarily oral cancer) is what > is believed in Australia and why it is so hard to get it.> > Jack Newman spoke about this on one of his tours in Australia. He > kindly gave me copies of his two slides with the info about this. The > study explained below was found in a small library somewhere in the > US. Jack said that they told him that no-one had ever asked about > this one before and he was welcome to have it. So it seems that > no-one had actually gone to the original research they were basing > the carcinogenicity claim on. One can speculate on who would benefit > from this 'rumour'...> > The slides read as follows:> > Final Report> > Experiment no. 304> Chronic Toxicity and carcinogenicity Studies of Gentian Violet in Mice> National Center for Toxicological Research> Jefferson, Arkansas 72079> September 1984> > Summary of Experiment:> > Outline of the experimental method:> > * mice were fed 100, 300 or 600 ppm gentian violet in their feeds for > 12, 18, or 24 months (mice generally live about 30 months)> > * this amount of gentian violet corresponds to: 100, 250-275, and 500 > mg/kg/week in females 75-100, 225-250, and 450-475 mg/kg/week in > males (presumably the females ate more)> > * mice were killed (sacrificed) and autopsied at: 12 months, 18 > months or 24 months> > Conclusion:> > * an increased rate of hepatocellular carcinoma was noted in mice fed > gentian violet (note that the rate in control mice not fed gentian > violet was not zero).> > * females were more susceptible than males> > * "almost all the pathology results occurred only by 24 month sacrifice"> > * "under the condition of this study, 100 ppm (100 mg/kg/week) > gentian violet for 12 months could be considered the 'no observed > effect' dose and time for female mice. For male mice a 'no observed > effect' level would be 300 ppm (225-250 mg/kg/week) for 18 months.> > > What should we make of this?> > * in large doses, over a very prolonged period of time, gentian > violet seems to be carcinogenic> > * gentian violet 1%, contains 1000 mg gentian violet in 100 ml> > * I usually advise mothers to buy 10 ml, which they never use up > completely, usually using less than half the 10 ml for an entire > treatment> > * 10 ml contains 100 mg gentian violet> > * assuming the mother uses 5 ml, and there is complete absorption by > the baby of the 5 ml, a five kg (11 lb) baby would get 50 mg over > three or four days, or 10 mg/kg for the entire treatment> > * this hardly compares with even the very lowest dose of 75 > mg/kg/week over most of a lifetime> > * there were 2 malignant liver neoplasms in the mice who received no > gentian violet at 18 months, and 4 at 24 months out of 576 animals, > suggesting an unusual susceptibility to this neoplasm in this strain > of mice> - primary malignant liver tumours in humans are much less common than > this, in the absence of cirrhosis> -- > ******************************************************************> Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC> Australian Breastfeeding Association counsellor, Nutrition student> Perth, Western Australia. mailto:[log in to unmask]> ******************************************************************> > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > ------------------------------> > Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:03:36 -0500> From: "Betsy Riedel,RNC,IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: screaming pediatrician> > The one and only time (many years ago now) I had a pediatrician screaming=> at=20> me, I excued myself, turned my back on him and walked away and went and=20=> > reported him to my head nurse. It took two weeks but he did come and=20> apologize to me and it has never happened again. I think he was very=20> embarassed by his outburst, actually. That guy was young and foolish than=> =20> and I am happy to say that we still work together and he is a caring and=20=> > skilled OB.> > We must never allow ourselves to be the recipient of any of those kinds o=> f=20> behaviors. As Jenny said, they are totally unprofessional.> > One of my physician friends explained once that most (thankfully) medical=> =20> schools are no longer teaching their docs to be that they are gods.> > Betsy Riedel RNC, IBCLC> Connecticut> > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > ------------------------------> > Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:38:30 -0500> From: "Pam Hirsch, RN, BSN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Need help> > Susan: The program you are referring to is a research-based program that=> =20> comes out of the University of Colorado in Denver called Nurse-Family=20> Partnership. I helped set up the program in our local health department => and=20> was a nurse case manager for a few years with the program. It is probabl=> y=20> one of the best (if not the best) program out there for teen parents and => their=20> families. The only reason I quit was the nurse's salary is at the povert=> y level -=20> couldn't afford to work for them!> The program consists of a structured curriculum covering the entire pregn=> ancy=20> and growth/development for the 1st 2 years. It also contains adolescent=20=> > development issues. The "canned" breastfeeding information is good, if b=> asic.=20=20> I used to use a lot of the basic information that can be obtained for low=> =20> cost/free from the government. The most effective tool for I found for=20=> > increasing duration was SUPPORT, SUPPORT, SUPPORT! and meeting the young=20=> > mother at her level based in her reality. Surprisingly, I did not have t=> o do a=20> whole lot of breastfeeding promotion - kids aren't dumb. They know that => they=20> should be breastfeeding. It was convincing her that SHE could breastfeed=> =20> within HER lifestyle. I swear some of them were testing me to the limit.=> They=20> would tell me they couldn't continue breastfeeding because...I would come=> =20> back with some possible solutions to the scenario. OK, a solution was=20=> > accepted and we got to the new goal. Still can't continue because...OK, => new=20> set of solutions, and so on! Some of my moms were shocked when we hit th=> e=20> 1 year mark and she was STILL breastfeeding.=20=20> Ongoing support wasn't that difficult because the beauty of this program => is=20> that the nurse is visiting the mom weekly. Not too much time was allowed=> to=20> go by between visits. Also, praise goes a long way in making the mother => feel=20> good about the effort she did put into breastfeeding.> So, I would recommend whatever educational tools these nurses have at the=> ir=20> disposal and whatever their budget allows. Nail polish parties go a long=> way=20> towards getting breastfeeding information across in a non-intimidating ma=> nner!> > Pam Hirsch, BSN,RN,IBCLC> Clinical Lead, Lactation Services> Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital> Barrington, IL USA> > ***********************************************> > To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail> To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)> To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> All commands go to [log in to unmask]> > The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).> There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html> > ------------------------------> > End of LACTNET Digest - 17 Dec 2006 to 18 Dec 2006 - Special issue (#2006-1452)> *******************************************************************************

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2