Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:50:35 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The reality is, doctors and all of us have much more to learn every day and it is growing all the time.  What if you went into lactation career planning on working in one area (say L& D).  You would learn that which addressed those issues, even though you studied all age ranges as is required to pass the IBLCE requirements.

Then your hospital decides that the LCs will run clinics for different ages...it is a challenge, but you get your books out, have them available and if you aren't sure, you promise the mom you'll get back to her if there are any changes in your recommendations after you check out some references...  Yes, moms really appreciate this-especially if you DO get back with more/additional/new information.

Now your hospital says you have 15 minutes with each patient, and you're stressed, tired, need to get home, family pressures reduce any "looking up" time...  You revert to what you know, both in recommendations and assessments... 

That's the way I see the current physician crop.  Do I like it? No way!   However it is one reason they need to and should be partnering or referring to those who specialize in breastfeeding (or PT, or OT, or RD etc.).  

We are in a similar situation ourselves... we need to know who can provide additional/different information and resources...and refer moms to them, not assuming we know it all...or can "click" with this particular mom.

By the way, concerns about confidentiality need to be addressed before calling an md.  It was most effective when I called the doctor with the mom present.  Other times I have stated..."I'm aware you cannot tell me anything, but I have permission to share with you xxxxx".  One really scary situation I sent an excel spreadsheet with all feeds, breast, pumping, bottle etc.  Never heard back from the md, but close follow-up visits were scheduled, which was my goal..

Yes many doctors are not up to date, but misunderstandings and mis-reportings are also very common during these stressful times, so a nonconfrontational "checking in" can help develop a professional dialogue.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA

Sent from Samsung tablet

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2