Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:55:26 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have a case where I have permission to post. I have a 8 1/2 month very active baby boy who has had breastfeeding aversion since 7 weeks when mom's period returned. He will go through periods where he is a star champion nurser and then go through a nursing strike. He goes through them for up to a month where he will nurse once or not at all and then return to the breast as if nothing has happened. I went on a home visit last week and mind you he was recovering from an ear infection, then thrush and then a virus on the back of his throat. Everything is cleared up this week (very supportive involved pediatrician) and he is still not nursing or sucking on any anything but a pacifier. He won't take a bottle of moms EBM, I even tried. He won't take a sippy cup. He won't take ANY liquids at all except for maybe that one nursing session at night and the rest it is by syringe. Mom drops the milk into his mouth. He won't do the finger feeding because he has two front bottom teeth and he likes to use the finger to sharpen those two teeth! Mom has done teething comfort measures without any difference to the nursing. His latch is beautiful and he sucks for ten seconds and he comes off crying. Mom's milk supply is good and he won't take any liquid except in his food and with a spoon. Even skin to skin, taking a bath, going into the other room and using breast compressions while nursing have all failed. Any ideas or thoughts? 
Thanks, 
Julie Johnson; IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2