Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:27:01 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
My approach here would be to think what would be happening with no seperation and try and replicate it. In NZ over summer we often have very hot spells when babies under one will snack feed maybe hourly because they are thirsty. These babies getting 6 ozs of milk sound thirsty. I'm wondering if it would be safe to try giving them a couple of ozs of water? I know breastmilk adapts to the weather conditions...but some Western mothers get a bit irritated with very frequent feeding in an older baby and the water takes some pressure off. And these mothers aren't getting the frequent stimilus from their babies.A baby being thirsty is also not so "threatening" to a mother concerned about her supply as a baby being hungry. My own experience is that it is a lot easier to pump at home with a baby on one side. When I was working mornings with a baby this age I could get 8-10ozs after feeding him one side when I got home (compared with 2-4 at a mid morning pump at work). The other reminder that seems to make a difference is to remind them to conciously relax their shoulders. I read several comments on the playgroup board I'm on from employed breastfeeding mothers on how much that helped whent hey faced similar issues when their babies wherre the same age. Sonja

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2