Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:46:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Thank you, Esther, for posting this link.  Although I don't work with a population that includes a large number of Jewish moms, I was interested to see the very specific information regarding breastfeeding that is a part of the religion and culture of this group of people.  It made me think about the importance of being aware of many different cultural issues that may play into breastfeeding challenges for the moms I work with.  

Religion and cultural are very powerful forces in a person's life.  These are often things that a mom "knows" about how to lead her life, that she doesn't even think to share in the course of seeking breastfeeding help from an LC.  They are also things that I, as an outsider to a particular group, don't think to ask about.  Some of these things may affect the outcomes of her breastfeeding experience, despite the interventions we try to use to help her.  

Also, I was reminded that some of the things I suggest to a mom, if they don't fit with her religion or cultural views, will not likely be followed.  For example, if a mom "knows" that she has no milk in the first 3 days after birth, or "knows" that it is poison for her baby, I am not very readily going to be able to change her mind.  In fact, many religions warn against "humanism" and thinking that the scientific discoveries and advances that we have made make people think that they are god-like.  They warn followers to be watchful and remain faithful to the truths they know and have learned through the culture.

I feel humbled by these challenges.  I am glad for the opportunity to be reminded of the need for cultural sensitivity, and the need to try to find a way to work with different groups of people in a way that will work for them.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York

Date:    Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:32:46 +0200
Subject: Breastfeeding and Jewish law

For those of you who have Jewish clients who are observant, here is a
wonderful site which answers all the questions they could possibly have
about breastfeeding and other issues.
HYPERLINK
"http://www.yoatzot.org/category/2"http://www.yoatzot.org/category/2
Many of you may have been asked whether it is permissible to fast while
breastfeeding because of the Yom Kippur fast last week.  This gives moms
the information and they can do with it what they want.
Esther Grunis, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2