Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 09:53:28 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Judy, or anyone who might remember, did the focus groups focus on any particular age group? Are some ages of women more likely to be influenced by celebs? I know for myself, I could not care less who is doing what. Is it my age (48) or my personality that rejects peer pressure? For a younger woman, would she be more influenced by peer pressure? When I look at my family, my daughter (11) is very obviously influenced by her peers, her 16yo sister is still influenced but claims to be more independent. If the average "first-time mom" is about 25 (just a stab in the dark) is her particular age group influenced by celeb endorsements?

And perhaps it's not so much the peers, as it is the continual normality by representation/saturation in the media. Is it that the mom-next-door in the ad is using the product, or is it that superstar-in-luxury using the product, or is it that every time you turn around, the product is right in front of your nose?

When (whoever the celeb was) who picked up and breastfed another woman's baby on the news a few months ago, was the chatter because she was a celeb, or because someone actually did that out in the open? Did it influence her career? Would there have been as much discussion had it been some New Jersey mother on Oprah? I imagine it would have been discussed, but would it have made a difference had she been a celeb versus being a mom-next-door. 

And another thought, if celeb endorsements really were not convincing, would advertising agencies still be paying millions of dollars for celebs to wear their underwear in ads?

There are many days I'm thankful I don't get mainstream magazines, and I don't watch much tv!

Best wishes,
Sam Doak

We're going to Candy Mountain, Charlie!

<<

Dear Wise Women,

This is the saddest and most disturbing part of this trend. If I am  
remembering correctly, the National Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign, which was  
mostly never rolled out or watered down/relegated to a spot at 3AM when it  
was,  was based on focus group info that suggested that celebrity  
endorsements or celebrity visibility in terms of babies breastfeeding didn't  work to 
convince anyone or change breastfeeding initiation rates. Then again, it  
does seem the celebrity presence alone will convince mothers to continue with  
their plans to formula feed or to abandon breastfeeding because they see  
something in a popular magazine.

Sigh,
Judy  

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL>>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2