Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 06:37:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
At the institution where I work, we use far too many nipple shields but they work.  We send many babies home breastfeeding  and using nipple shields.  This hospitals induction rates, C/S rates, and epidural rates are very high.  Needless to say we have a lot of sleepy babies, babies with uncoordinated sucks, etc.  We use to send these babies home being alternatively fed (many using fingerfeeding) and   mothers pumping.  Maybe 7 or 8 years ago, a new to our hospital not new to mother & babies, LC, RN s, started working here.  She came from mostly an outpatient environment.  She pointed out how ridiculous this was and pointed out that mothers and babies should be together.

We did a study involving ~250 mother/baby couples using nipple shields.  These women were followed for 4 months.  Many gave up breastfeeding quickly (I think about 11% which was not to much higher than usual).  What we found out though was many women stopped using the nipple shield very quickly and went on to have a long, successful breastfeeding experience. 

Interesting fact we have had 3 women come back who breastfed fairly long-term using the nipple shield the entire time.  One breastfed for 12 months, one 15 months and one 27 months.  The mother that used it for 27 months did not get it from our hospital-she was living in another state at the time.  She said that she started using the shield at 6 weeks after being seen by several different LCs.  By the end, she knew that the nipple shield was a security blanket for her and that her little one could of and probably would of done just fine with out it (once things were corrected).

Do I like using nipple shields-no.  Am I proud of using sooo many nipple shields-no.  Are there better alternatives-I believe yes. But they do give an instant fix sometimes and unfortunately that is what the women delivering at our institution today want.

Hope that this helps someone.

Marla, MOM, IBCLC, RN

_______________________________________________________________________________________

This email may contain confidential protected health information and/or proprietary information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged under local, state, or federal law. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or individuals who have received this. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless required to do so by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for the disposal of this information.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2