Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:56:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Just a quick comment on the Times's exclusivity policy. I was letters editor at a newspaper with a similar policy, and I had to explain this to people fairly frequently. When they say your letter must be exclusive to the Times (or whatever paper you're sending it to), that means it can't be a copy of the same letter you're submitting to any other paper for possible publication. I don't think a Web list like Lactnet counts, because it's not a publication like, say, Salon is.

Sometimes people get worked up over an issue, or they have something they feel is important to say, and they want to say it to as many people as possible, and they send out a handful or more of the same letter to many papers at once. An exclusivity policy assures that the letter you send to a particular newspaper is worded explicitly for that paper. You can certainly send a different *version* of the same basic letter, but not the same one. I don't know what Times editors would do if they published your letter and then saw it published elsewhere, probably ban any future letters you might send them.

Ilene Roizman
Amherst, MA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2