PETRA HOEHFURTNER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 08:33:47 +0100
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (3005 bytes) , text/plain (2416 bytes)

Hello 
As far as I know Aloe Vera only causes diarrhoea if the whole leaf is used, as the outer leaf contains ingredients that cause it. That's why 'Forever Living' products are  made only out of the inner part of the plant, therefore you don't get the added immodium (in Aloe drinks) or so to stop the diarrhoea.

I use it on my Ezcema and I have one mum using it on her nipple - which is now finally healing - with no problems. As with all plant/herbal things you need to look out for allergic reactions, but as toxicity goes I think it depends very much on how the product is made and most cheap versions will use the whole leaf, which then causes problems.

My 2 pennies worth.

Petra Hoehfurtner - UK
La Leche League Leader
IBCLC
Gestalt Counsellor

Date:    Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:48:01 -0500
Subject: aloe vera for sore nipples?

Riva, You asked why using aloe vera for sore nipples might be discouraged. I surmise that it is because use of the whole plant as a supplement has been associated with diarrhea. I believe the laxative portion of the plant is the outer part,which is also bitter. The inside pulp alone is very healing and not associated with diarrhea. The taste itself (pulp)is mild. If she chose to use this, I would use the pulp from an actual leaf, or she could get pure inner pulp from the health food store. I would not receommend using a salve ment for sunburn or whatever, because of the other miscellaneous ingredients that may be present. I think if mom rinsed the aloe off before nursing, it would be ok. Has the mom found the reason for the soreness? That would be the biggest issue here, I think. 
Rowena Tucker IBCLC
Texas

End of LACTNET Digest - 9 Jul 2012 - Special issue (#2012-508)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Hello  As far as I know Aloe Vera only causes diarrhoea if the whole leaf is used, as the outer leaf contains ingredients that cause it. That's why 'Forever Living' products are  made only out of the inner part of the plant, therefore you don't get the added immodium (in Aloe drinks) or so to stop the diarrhoea. I use it on my Ezcema and I have one mum using it on her nipple - which is now finally healing - with no problems. As with all plant/herbal things you need to look out for allergic reactions, but as toxicity goes I think it depends very much on how the product is made and most cheap versions will use the whole leaf, which then causes problems. My 2 pennies worth. Petra Hoehfurtner IBCLC Gestalt Counsellor petrah.co.uk Date:    Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:48:01 -0500 From:    Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]> Subject: aloe vera for sore nipples? Riva, You asked why using aloe vera for sore nipples might be discouraged. I surmise that it is because use of the whole plant as a supplement has been associated with diarrhea. I believe the laxative portion of the plant is the outer part,which is also bitter. The inside pulp alone is very healing and not associated with diarrhea. The taste itself (pulp)is mild. If she chose to use this, I would use the pulp from an actual leaf, or she could get pure inner pulp from the health food store. I would not receommend using a salve ment for sunburn or whatever, because of the other miscellaneous ingredients that may be present. I think if mom rinsed the aloe off before nursing, it would be ok. Has the mom found the reason for the soreness? That would be the biggest issue here, I think. Rowena Tucker IBCLC Texas            End of LACTNET Digest - 9 Jul 2012 - Special issue (#2012-508) **************************************************************              *********************************************** Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html To reach list owners: [log in to unmask] Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask] COMMANDS: 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2