text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
<I'd
like some suggestions about other follow up programs, including forms
used, schedule of calls, or anything else that might be helpful.  I
would like to make this a complete program, she is interested only in
the numbers.>
Mary Alice, I don't have the forms that you are looking for, but I suggest that you look at the breastfeeding indicators and definitions put out by the World Health Organisation in the publication *WHO Global Data Bank on Breast-feeding*.  (Nutrition Unit, Geneva 1996)

For example:
Exclusive breastfeeding -  'requires that the infant receive breastmilk (including milk expressed from the mother or from wet-nurse); allows the infant to receive drops, syrups (vitamins, minerals, medicines); and does not allow the infant to receive anything else'.
Predominant breastfeeding, complementary feeding, breastfeeding and bottle feeding are similarly defined.
The breastfeeding indicators derived from households include exclusive breastfeeding rate at 1 mo, 2 mo ...; mean and median duration, and timely complementary feeding rate.  Indicators for assessing health facility practices that affect breastfeeding include exclusively breastfed by natural mother rate; breastmilk substitutes and supplies rate; rooming-in rate; timely first-suckling (within 1 hour of birth) rate; bottle fed rate; pacifer use rate, and others.

These definitions are consistent with the WHO/UNICEF 10 steps to successful breastfeeding, and I believe should be incorporated into all BFHI programs.

I don't know how available these books are - perhaps your local breastfeeding literature distributor would get copies, or write to WHO in Geneva, Switzerland for your copy.

With best wishes,
Joy Johnston
Midwife IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia

ATOM RSS1 RSS2