Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:18:07 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Liz's quote on dimerization reminds me of freshman biology, and the lovely, mentally elusive "thymine dimer."  I never knew what it was - probably got it wrong on the test - but I've always loved the way it rolls off the tongue.

Right or wrong, I mostly just "walk with" the doe-eyed low-supply mother, and muse about her situation - what might have caused it, what the first steps seem to be.  I tell her about Tina Smillie, who says, "If you can make milk, you can make more milk."  I say I'm quite sure we can raise her production, but I don't know by how much or how quickly.  I say we'll know more after she's been on the new regimen - whatever we decide it is - for, say, a week.  We stay in touch, and I shift my encouragement and enthusiasm and prognosticating to fit shifts in her status.  I introduce the notion of other approaches as they seem to fit.  

I guess for starters I just find myself saying "we" with her instead of "you," and commit myself to walking with her.  And by golly, if she raises her pumped milk from 15 cc at a session to 30, I make sure she understands that that's a 100 percent increase!

(Speaking of Tina, she uses hand expression more than or at least in addition to pumps with a very low supply.  She points out that tantalizing drop that clings to the end of the nipple, going back and forth, back and forth but not falling.  How much more sensible to squeeze it out decisively from behind than to pretend to tug on it from in front.  I think I'm interpreting her right.)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2