Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:48:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
These are my rambling thoughts on the Breastfeeding Helping / Lactation Helping profession as I see it in light of current events:

I saw a quote by Sandra Oh (actress) one time and she said about her profession that unless it's a calling, don't do it because it's too hard.  I feel that way about the breastfeeding helping profession or lactation helping whatever you call it.  There is opposition on so many sides.  Lack of respect, lack of understanding, lack of a clear career path, difficulty in meeting requirements, etc.  Don't you just love it when you tell someone what you do and they give you that wrinkled up eyebrow look?  As a single mom, this is really fun when trying to meet men.

I barely squeaked in under the 2011 requirements.  I've been learning about lactation since birth, I guess.  My mom was a La Leche League Leader.  I became a La Leche League leader in 2006, Peer Counselor in 2009.  If I pass the test, I guess I'll be an IBCLC later this year.  If I don't pass, though, looking at my options, taking (just) 3 more college classes (in my case) and all of those other medical continuing education requirements would really make me consider if the end goal is really worth it, or would it be better to just help on the side, and take a better paying job doing something else.

I derive the most pleasure and satisfaction from being able to help people, and make a difference in a breastfeeding couple's life, and a lot of times that is 90% empathy and 10% knowledge, if that.  The knowledge is important, and correct knowledge is very important, yes.  But I really believe that the emotional support covers a multitude of wrong knowledge.

Ok, so maybe money is the other elephant in the room.

In order to get people to want to do something, generally you have to support them (pay them).

I feel that the work of supporting women with breastfeeding on an emotional level is what is not seen as valuable when it comes to compensation.  And that is a shame.  This is the skill set that is required for successful interactions with people, and it certainly is valuable.  It probably helps in keeping one's job if you have a job, or getting referrals if working in private practice.  I hope that those whose efforts to get insurance reimbursement to cover our work will succeed.  This could potentially be a huge game changer.

Let me tell you from someone who went back to college after having 3 young children, taking one 3 hour course, let alone 8, is no easy task.  Sure, there are community colleges, pell grants, tuition reimbursement for some, but even with all of those things, it is a huge undertaking.

I feel that these current changes in the IBLCE requirements are not showing that emotional intelligence, ability to connect is important, but sitting through classes and either passing or staying awake long enough to claim your certificate in the end is what's important.  As a working person, it is a huge time commitment and a lot of stress to take time away from either your family or your job (even if your job is in the field) and probably both to take college or other courses.  And, one has to wonder, is it worth it?  Is it worth it to the individual?  Is it a good idea for the profession?  Do we need more people who know how to help with breastfeeding?  YES!!!  Is it easy?  Absolutely not.  As far as encouraging others in gaining knowledge, I am such a supporter of gaining knowledge and continually learning, and getting as many initials after your name as possible and following one's dreams.  When it comes to pursuing lactation as a profession, though, I think Sandra Oh's advice is highly applicable.

Carolyn Putnam
La Leche League Leader
Peer Counselor Coordinator
IBCLC Hopeful
Denton, Texas, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2