Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2012 02:21:56 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi Laura,

This reminds me of the very first tongue-tie I caught (Those involved have given me permission to discuss their case for learning purposes).  As I was explaining to the parents what it was, what the possible implications were and what the treatment is, dad was very quiet.  I thought he was going to object to frenectomy, but he surprised me.  He asked me to look in his mouth and sure enough his tongue matched his son's!  As we spoke more, I learned that he had suffered from speech difficulty that was still unresolved, TMJ, head and neck pain, as well as frequent ear pain and infections.  He had frequent chiro and osteopath treatments that relieved these symptoms temporarily, but they were alway back within 2 weeks.

Well, dad decided to have his TT released.  The first 2 days following his frenotomy, all the above symptoms were worse.  Then, he told me, he felt something pop and everything released.  All of his pain went away and his speech was much clearer, though he still fatigued easily and began stuttering for a while after that, but this eventually improved too.  I had contact with them about 1 year later and he told me that the improvements he had experienced were maintained.  Ha!  Little did I know that as an IBCLC I would be helping a grown man!

We are learning more and more about the relationship between oral restrictions and tension in the rest of the cranial-sacral system.   It is all connected.  So as I think more about this and the relationship between TT and ear issues I wonder if perhaps the tension created by the TT prevents the ears from draining properly and thus the person is more prone to problems.

Jennifer Welch, IBCLC, LLLL
Montreal, QC  Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2