Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 23:06:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
 Usually, pregnenalone and DHEA are taken once per day. I would suggest taking them separately to see if both are having the same outcome--we often assume the DHEA is the culprit, but the symptoms she is having are typical of overdosing on pregnenalone. Pregnenalone can cause
edginess, insomnia, heart palpitations and irritability when taken in high doses. I would
encourage her to discuss lowering the dosage before deciding against
using it. It may also be that the dosages are off and that she can get good results with a lower dosage. It is my understanding that 5mg is the most that should be used and that many women do best with even as little as 1 mg/ day. Pregnenalone and DHEA overlap--if both are used, the dosages of each need to be lowered accordingly. High doses of these hormones for prolonged periods can be very dangerous. 

This mom may be having some difficulty finding the right dosage (maybe the practitioner is not very skilled with bio-identicals), but that is no reason to resort to drugs nor to wean the baby. Most of the time, women do not need to continue using bio-identical hormones as their bodies' regain normal function through the healing of inflammation with proper nutrition, exercise and supplements. I think she needs to do some research on her own and insist on a much lower dosage--the absolute lowest possible and work from there. Bottom line, though, using the drug as a last resort is still far preferable to weaning!!!

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2