Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2016 14:21:10 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I actually thought the article was an excellent wake-up call for us as lactation consultants. I see many women who suffer from depression, feelings of inadequacy, and anxiety over their ability to breastfeed. We are not miracle workers and sometime breastfeeding exclusively is just not possible. I wonder if sometimes the older generation of lactation consultants were either blessed with a mostly trouble-free adjustment period or are just forgetting the stress, the exhaustion, the pain, and the confusion of that first few months of newly found motherhood. I think the best way to be successful-- and ensure the best possible outcomes for moms AND babies-- is to support mothers in their decision without judgment and paternalistic (maternalistic) attitudes. Yes, breast milk and breastfeeding have amazing health benefits. But when it is not working for either physiological or psychological reasons, we should not assume that the benefit of breast milk outweighs the damage to mom's psyche and confidence as a mother. Breastfeeding can be one of life's greatest experiences. But the sad truth is that it just isn't for some mothers. I hope that we can support all mothers in any way we can. And for a mother who is in severe pain, does not feel bonded to her baby, or simply does not enjoy breastfeeding, I feel it is our duty to support her by giving her permission to NOT breastfeed. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2