Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:09:05 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I was just pondering on why weight is seen as such an important part of child care in the modern world? Why do we need to measure well being in this way? When did the western world start regularly weighing babies?

I have always worried about weighing as I was over weighed as a baby! Now don't laugh, its true. Born in '52 at 5lbs I was fed 3hourly, mother discharged from hospital, travelled 42 miles each day trying to breastfeed me. Naturally eventuallly formula fed and allowed home only if poor parents took me to clinic 3 times a week. By 6 months I was 32lbs!!!* What benefit was it to anyone for me to achieve that weight? None. I just had to put on weight 3 times a week or my parents were fearful I would be taaken from them! I have always wondered if other parents feel the same as my did, that they would have the baby "taken away" if not gainiing.Do we give parents the right support and information or even enough reassurance that all is well. Sometimes it is not what is said but how its spoken and what is missing that counts.

Ah, well waffled enough,

Christine Wood
Bonn

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2