Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:52:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I've read this article awhile too and I thought it was very 'educational'. Since reading I have made the suggestions to some of my patients who are 'needing' to use formula and the parents have c/o babies experiencing certain symptoms. The most common symptoms have been constipation, colic, spitting up and gas. 

Most parents have started out with purchasing Earth's Best (organic) because they could get it that day from the store and then ordered the Baby's Only (organic from Nature's One) and I was truly amazed at the difference parents were stating in their children's symptoms. Most of the symptoms had actually improved significantly within the next appointment I saw them at (usually one week). 

Of course most parents were using either similac or Enfamil. The free cans in the mail sitting at their house usually wasn't the main reason that they had been using that type of formula instead the reason was the parents thought these were the 'best' types of formula to use since they are name brand and advertised all over the place and provided at hospitals. 

I like everyone else on here don't like to use formula but sometimes we just need to and upon reading that article I was shocked and actually almost outraged that those are the ingredients 'allowed' to be used in formula. I couldn't believe that our government would allow such poor standards of ingredients going into the most vulnerable people. Both Similac and Enfamil claim that breastfeeding 'is best' for babies but 'if' your baby can't have breastmilk then there product is the next best thing. They should be ashamed of their company and instead of trying to make a quick buck think about the population that they are serving and use better quality products. 

Jessica Callahan RN, IBCLC
USA, NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2