Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:39:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
The discussion on pacifiers gives me an opening for an otherwise OT question.  We had an inservice day at work Thursday where a DVD for new parents about Shaken Baby Syndrome was presented.  We are going to start handing it out to all mothers when they leave the ward.  I have some qualms about the context in which it places a baby's crying but could not object to the program as it was a done deed already and I don't have that kind of authority in my unit.  After seeing the DVD I can live with it.

The guy from the foundation that has produced this DVD said the idea came from the US where a similar program has existed for a while.  He said he'd been at a conference in Canada 'recently' and learned there that the only hospitals in the US who aren't on board are 'a special chain of hospitals with a special ideology, for example they don't use pacifiers either' and these 'special' hospitals had objections to informing parents via DVD about the dangers of shaking babies.

It sounded to me like some garbled version of Baby-Friendly.  But I readily admit I am not familiar with every hospital in the US.  Does this 'chain' of hospitals ring any bells with any of you?  

If your reply has no mention of Baby-Friendly Hospitals, please send it to me privately at rachel (at) myr.no.  Otherwise it's fine for the list.

Rachel Myr
Curious in Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2