Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2011 22:45:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Great to hear another voice in the wilderness! I so agree with Nina, have seen one too many breastfed baby
investigated for aspiration by using bottles to feed them during
the modified barium swallow study then taken off the breast because they are aspirating, but shows no symptoms
like chest infections. There is no recognition for the fact that the "Gold Standard" for investigating for aspiration i.e the modified barium swallow study cannot be done with breastfeeding babies i.e normal feeding babies and it is just assumed by the experts in the field that the dynamics of bottle and breast are exactly the same. Hopefully as we see more SLT's becoming knowledgeable about breastfeeding we may see some changes. Knowing that somewhere else in the world there is someone asking the same questions is reassuring. 

I can also just echo my own current frustration with establishing a service for tongue tie release. Our ENT's have 
been putting up barrier after barrier in the way of our efforts to get these done, the latest being that children over the age of 1 month need general anaesthetic and if the baby is gaining weight there should be no need to do a release and
if we are treating the baby to relieve the mother's pain it places the question on who are we treating and should this
service be provided by them???Aaargh. I cannot believe that in 7 years of advocating for this service we have actually
moved backward!

Loraine Hamm
SLT/IBCLC
New Zealand

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2