Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 14:10:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
In regard to the post from Barb Lucas, I do think she has some good questions about making breastfeeding do-able for some moms.  Counselling should never be a one size fits all issue.  Some moms will be better motivated than others to make wholesale changes to their diets, and need counselling to that effect.  Others will be willing to make small changes, and others will only continue to breastfeed if we work at making it do-able for them.  This might involve more work with managing a fussy and colicky baby, which I truly believe is sometimes (if not often) related as much to a sensory integration problem as a food intolerance.  This is harder to accept, I think, unless you've been there, done that.  I have, 17 years ago.  No doubt in my mind -- colic does exist, as a seperate problem from food interances, though they probably overlap in some babies.  Bottom line: our job is to assess which client needs which approach, which advice (to the best of our abilities), and we should offer appropriate options whenever we can.  The goal is to keep the client breastfeeding, keep the baby happy and healthy.  

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html
Karin Blinkilde, RD

ATOM RSS1 RSS2