Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:58:41 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Interesting topic and I have a couple comments.

It was stated:  WIC doesn't buy the formula. The mother purchases the formula at a store with a check/voucher/coupon. WIC then pays the retail store, the retail price for the formula and other foods purchased with the voucher.

First:  The mother does NOT purchase the formula.  She spends NO money on it.  Purchasing implies the use of personal monies.  She hand the clerk a voucher.  Secondly, if WIC pays the retailer for the formula how is this seen a WIC NOT buying the formula??  Semantics?  WIC IS buying the formula if it pays the grocery store for it.  And if they get any money back from anyone FOR the formula they just purchased - it IS a kickback.  They get a refund of monies spent.  They use it for whatever they use it for.  The ONLY way there would be NO kickback would be if WIC did NOT receive ANY monies of any kind back from anyone for anything that a voucher is used for.   

Whichever formula company gets the WIC Contract gets FREE advertising from WIC for their product, because you know that when that baby is eating more formula than WIC will provide, those parents buy for full price the same formula WIC is giving them vouchers for - you know, the ones that they use to purchase that formula from the retailer with and then get money back on from the formula company to help cut the cost to WIC...looks like, smell like, etc a kickback to me.

Quite frankly, I presented this scenario to my wife who is NOT in the field.  Her comment?  WIC bought the formula and is receiving a kickback from the company if they send them money for every formula voucher used...

Warmly,
Jaye

Jaye Simpson, CLC, IBCLC, CIIM, MoM
Breastfeeding Network
www.breastfeedingnetwork.net

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2