Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 20:57:28 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I am blessed...my husband thinks that it is good that I have "equipment" to feed our children. He recognizes that this is part of the normal reproductive cycle. I certainly do not wish to speak for him, but the impression I get is that he is very appreciative that he has a wife who puts the needs of his children above her own (and sometimes, his). 

As the husband of an LLLL, he is very aware of the benefits of breastfeeding for our children, as well as for the entire family. He has been accepting of the fact that my body has changed due to childbearing, and he has never given me any indication that I am less appealing to him as a lactating mama. And we live in Southern California, the land of (surgically) perfect breasts!!!

I think that it is important to educate husbands. Women who are "on the fence" may decide to formula feed if their partners are not supportive. Couples need to understnad that breasts are not off limits to the man just because baby is currently using them for nourishment. The support I have recieved from him over the last four years has made all the difference in the world, especially on days when I was ready to throw in the towel (like during tandem nursing in the first trimester of my second pregnancy, when it hurt like heck to nurse!).

Perhaps what is needed is some sort of father-to-father support network, like what we have for mothers in LLL. Of course, men are probably less likely to "sign up" for such a thing.  I really don't know what the solution is...I just wanted to crow about my dear hunny for a few moments :) . Also, a book for soon to be daddies could be helpful. Mamas-to-be could leave it next to the toilet (a suggestion I stole from my co-leader).

Kellie Whitney, LLL in California

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail goes everywhere you do.  Get it on your phone.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2