Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2017 10:30:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
PTP:  I'm desperate for advice for a 2 week old, full term baby, who has the worst anterior tongue elevation (curled up to the roof of the mouth) that I’ve ever seen in my 20 years.  Mom was started on a nipple shield in the hospital which worked nicely to force the tongue down, but she stopped using it a few days ago and, I quote, "never wants to see it again.”  Babe will not consistently latch & so mom is trying to BF, but giving lots of bottles (Dr Brown’s) of EBM.  Mom has an abundant supply, no issues with overactive MER, and baby’s weight gain is good. 
    On my visit, I tried modified football (upright) to try & drop the tongue, suck training exercises before latching & swaddling, as this baby is hypertonic, and the charm hold.  We had a couple of good, but brief latch ons & only after major struggles & nothing consistent.  As soon as she gets to the breast, she starts to scream & her tongue immediately lifts up & blocks any latch.  Thoughts?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2