Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2012 21:52:56 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hi Pam,
Thankyou very much for this. This is just what I am looking for. 
What I have for Australia (so far) is 1984 women with HIV in Aust, 46.5% under 45 years of age (childbearing age)= 922 women.  If Australia has the same birth rate as the UK (and I do not think that it is very different- though I have yet to be able find the numbers) then that would mean that 60 or so women out of 290 000 or so women who gave birth in any one year would be HIV positive if women who were HIV positive had the same birth rate as the rest of the population (an overestimate one could surmise). 
Do you have a citation for the research on new infections and MTCT? Any estimate as to what proportion might be via breastfeeding?
Anyone able to help me out with births per 1000 for Aust, Canada, France or the US?
Karleen Gribble
Australia

On 03/03/2012, at 10:07 AM, Pamela Morrison wrote:

> Karleen
> 
> From http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/may/25/birth-rate-statistics-england-wales (25 May 2010)
> New figures released today by the Office for National Statistics show that the birth rate for England and Wales has fallen minimally, by 0.2%, to 63.6 (that is, 63.6 live births per 1,000 women of childbearing age). There were 706,248 live births in 2009 compared to 708,711 the previous year.  Despite this drop year on year, the birth rate has been rising steadily over the past decade. In 1999, there were 621,872 live births, which equates to a birth rate of 57.8 and a fertility rate of 1.7 children per woman. The fertility rate now stands at 1.95.
> 
> [Me]  I hope these stats help.  I'm sure there are few HIV-positve pregnant women who will not be identified by antenatal screening in early pregnancy.  However, it's the men who are the risk here, and the number of women who might be newly infected by their partners during late pregnancy or during the breastfeeding period.   A recent study from South Africa suggests that as many as a quarter of all MTCT of HIV might be due to new seroconversions in this time period - and when there has been a primary infection of the mother, the risk of transmission to the baby during pregnancy, birth or breastfeeding could be as high as 30% due to very high viral levels.
> 
> If others are sending in stats, I hope you'll they'll send to the list, or cc to me, because I would like to learn the numbers too, particularly in Australia and New Zealand.
> 
> Pamela Morrison IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2