Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 18:09:15 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Laura,

I checked in with my niece who breastfed her twin boys a long time:-)  Here are her words of wisdom--hope they help:

"She doesn't mention where and how they are nursing (equipment, positions, singly or simultaneously, where the "nursing station" is set up)  Are her twins identical?  Sixteen days is still so young, yet they learn so much by then.   Those early months are so overwhelming.  The first three months are
so, so hard.  It's not easy being outnumbered!  I wonder (because it happened to me) if the babies not wanting to leave the breast is a "defense mechanism" to insure that they get the close contact with Mom that they need.  With J, early on, he learned (to my nipples' great relief!) to detach, and then lay his head on top of my breast.   He would stay that way
for quite awhile, unless I tried to hand him off or put him down, and he would frantically start rooting again.   It ended up working best for us to camp in the middle of the bed.  I had the nursing pillow and a reading pillow (looks like the back of a chair) set in the middle of the bed, with food,  water,  the cordless phone,  a couple of diapers and the remote.  I
could comfortably nurse and burp and jiggle without ever having to put anyone "down" for several hours, as they were satisfied by lying on the pillow against my body.   My other "best place" was the big rocking recliner.  I could hold them both on my shoulders with the back of the chair tipped back, and could even snooze that way.  I know many twin moms use the
pillow in a recliner, I never felt comfortable doing that as I was afraid they would roll off onto the floor if I fell asleep.    For us, the "constantly attached" stage only ended when I figured out ways to hold them both or have body contact with them both most of the time, and to only put them down deeply asleep, and to make sure and maintain the body contact until they were down, and then to use that time very wisely because it never lasted long!    The first 3 months were very, very intense.  After that, it got easier."

Hope this helps!

Warmly,

Anna Swisher, MBA, IBCLC
Abundant Blessings
Austin, TX

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2