Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:09:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Absolutely, yes.
But started seeing it several years ago, probably about 5 years in my area, which at the time was central Maryland.

Once upon a time when I still worked postpartum, we had orders for injectable narcotic pain relievers as needed (PRN) after C/S until back on solid food (which was usually a quick transition) then they would be given a loading dose of two Naproxen and kept on a schedule of one Naproxen every 6 hours, with an order for narcotics PRN only and a scrip for naproxen at discharge to continue for about 5 - 7 days and education to taper/switch to motrin or tylenol only as needed. It was rare for someone to go home with a scrip for a narcotic ... then it seemed like all of a sudden the orders were for all PRN Naproxen and narcotics, and the scrip for discharge was usually for percocet. With Aleve being OTC that was recommended instead of a scrip for Naproxen and I'm sure the education about use of the two varied greatly depending upon the nurse as well as the parents ability to absorb information.
I remember talking with moms at 7 -10 days post delivery and finding out they were still taking the narcotic regularly because they thought they were supposed to - that's what the prescription said to do. (so when did the rule about finishing all of your prescription begin to be applied to narcotics instead of/in addition to antibiotics?)
Many of us saw what a diiference leaning more on the NASAID's did for moms post C/S - they functioned so much better!
I remember thinking through all this especially when that news article hit a few years back about the infant death associated with the mom's percocet use.
Interested to hear from others on this.

Jodie Drum
currently at work in Washington D.C.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2